How do I make long lasting nICE mugs?
Clear ice nICE mugs last longer.
- Clear ice is harder and melts slower.
- Clear ice has no air bubbles.
So, how do I make clear nICE mugs?
- Double boil water: yea, this kind of works.
- Use filtered water and or distilled water: yea, this kind of works.
- Use a water pump to circulate water, like ice sculpture companies do. No, we’re not gonna do that.
These three methods are a pain in the ass, isn’t there a better way?
The best way to make clear nICE mugs is to force a top down freeze.
How do you force a top down freeze?
- fill your nICE mug mold with any kind of water.
- Insulate the sides and bottom of your nICE mug mold using a piece of bubble wrap or packing insulation.
- freeze overnight.
- pop out your nICE mug mold, after letting it warm up for a couple minutes.
The top down freeze is akin to skating on a naturally frozen lake in Northern Minnesota.
- water freezes in clear layers.
- air bubbles and impurities are forced down, out of the way, into the base of the nICE mug.
- Dense, hard clear ice presents itself as art. Something beautiful to look at as you skate or enjoy your favorite beverage!